South African born jazz trumpeter and composer, Lwanda Gogwana is a 3 time 2012 SAMA (South African Music Award) nominee for Best jazz, Best Newcomer and Male artist of the year. Lwanda is currently working on the release of his second album, UMCULO, due for release in 2016. With a music career that started at the age of 9, Lwanda went on to complete a Bachelor of music degree in composition and arrangement at the University of Cape Town (UCT) in 2005, majoring in composition and arrangement. He completed his Honours degree in 2012, getting a distinction for his thesis on African Musicology.
- - with American jazz legend Donald Harrison at the Joy of Jazz in 2013
- - with Steve Dyer and Jonas Gwangwa at the The Orbit Live Music Venue in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
- - performed at the Africa Festival in Wurzsburg, Germany in June 2015 with LIRA.
- - played with Afro-soul singer Simphiwe Dana and also travelled with her to the home of Nelson Mandela to perform as part of the opening of the Nelson Mandela School of Science and Technology
- - currently plays trumpet for South African pop superstar LIRA and 2015 South African Music Award winner, McCoy Mrubata
Other musicians and bands that Lwanda has worked with include jazz legends Tete Mbambisa, Jonas Gwangwa, Ezra Ngcukana, McCoy Mrubata, Paul Hanmer, Marcus Wyatt, Donald Harrison, Steve Dyer, Khaya Mahlangu,Robbie Jansen, Jimmy Dludlu, and has worked with some famous South African musicians including LIRA, Simphiwe Dana, Zwai Bala, Zamajobe, Freshlyground and Mafikizolo.
Lwanda is currently a part-time jazz lecturer at the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg and has recently worked for an organization called Music In Africa in Johannesburg as a researcher on African music.
Over the years Lwanda has also been involved in a couple of community building projects, including teaching and conducting workshops in and around Cape Town, and was also part of a youth run organization, RYTHM (reaching youth through music) that aimed at promoting South African music to the youth.
Lwanda was also actively involved in the SAJE(South African Association for Jazz Education) community building projects of 2012 and considers himself an Ambassador for African Music Culture.
Contact info: +27710770188
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/LwandaGogwanaMusic